Tuesday, December 22, 2009

thoughts of running hugs and words of encouragement

shared by Roy Cervantes, her friend from college


Cyn always had an infectious smile and energy about her. From the day I met her at UCLA, she inspired me with her authenticity, humility, and empathy. Cyn was the epitome of a student leader at UCLA, involved in anything and everything, but more importantly, she was a wonderful friend. She had a knack for connecting with people and knowing exactly what to do or say to make them feel comfortable. Despite all the things she had on her plate, she always made time for her family, friends, and colleagues.  


These were the moments that I still hold close to heart—the moments in between classes and the never-ending meetings and commitments. There were these random run-ins at Kerckhoff when we'd run into each other in the hall and no matter what was going on, I could always count on a hug and some words of encouragement from a dear friend. At one point, Cyn started to surprise me by sprinting down the hall and jumping in the air so that I'd have to catch her. Another fond memory I have of Cyn also seemed relatively random at the time. I still remember being utterly confused as she rushed me out of the Samahang meeting, down the Ackerman steps, and into the Lot 6 turnaround moments after Andrew had proposed to Marlo. I'll never forget how happy and excited she was for her sister and new brother-in-law, and how lucky I felt that Cyn shared that moment with me. 


I think everyone that came across Cyn had some sort of similar and special connection with her, because I certainly felt like our friendship was one-of-a-kind. That's the type of person she was...she made everyone feel special and valued somehow. To this day, I still feel Cyn's spirit and never-ending support around me.


No comments:

Post a Comment