Wednesday, December 23, 2009

thoughts of bonding opportunities and burying the salad

shared by Lina P. Makabali, her aunt


This is Tita Lina or I am also known as Lola Tittle.  Whenever I think of Cindy, 2 incidents come to mind. 


One Saturday or Sunday afternoon, Cindy called me at home in LA and asked if I wanted to go with her, Marlo, and a few friends to watch a sports game at UCLA. I said I wasn't really into sports, but for her, I would go. Somehow, I just could not refuse her. So I went. It turned out, we had a good time at the gym.


Another time, she called me from UCLA and she said she was not feeling well. If I could please pick her up. Since I was free then, I said I would. So I went to the usual parking spot near Ackerman Union. There she was, waiting for me. When we reached home, I tucked her on to my sofa in the living room, gave her some Tylenol, and let her rest until she felt better. I am not sure if I brought her back to their apartment or if Marlo picked her up.


Looking back, I view these two events as bonding opportunities. For the first time, she called me personally and asked for my help. Like a good Mother Hen, I immediately  agreed. Thank you God for these moments of grace. I believe I was more blessed and got more out of that experience than my act of kindness to her: that family matters, that in any action in the name of love, God's fingerprints are there. Little did I know that in a few weeks time, she was going to join her Creator, and there wouldn't be anymore good times and laughter together, no more shared meals, no more picking up at LAX...       


I just would like to add that one weekend when Arlene visited us in LA, Angela and I joined her, Cyn, and Marlo at a Chinese restaurant in Santa Monica. I think it was called The Royal something. (It closed down after a few years.) We had a good time, enjoying lunch with lots of laughter and shared stories.        

 

Another time, RJ (son of Tito Mon and one of her cousins) was visiting from Manila, and we went to this Japanese restaurant (Kabuki) in Culver City. Most of us ordered green salad as appetizer. Toward the end of the meal, I, being a stickler for  leaving clean plates, noticed the cousins to be peculiarly quiet. I scanned their plates and saw remnants of tempura tails, etc. And I commented, "Wow, clean plates. You finished everything, nothing wasted."  Then I caught their impish, sheepish smiles, and I knew they were up to something. Well, RJ masterminded covering up and burying the salad under the remnants of fish and shrimp tails so it will appear they were all good boys and girls, as trained by their parents and Lola. Then we all laughed  loudly together. Those were very good bonding moments as well: auntie with nieces and nephew. 


So I would like to say that life is short. If there are any golden opportunities to share with family and loved ones, seize the moment, for if we delay, postpone, or make excuses, it may be too late and we miss the chance.


We love you Cindy!  Continue looking after us.  Until our grand reunion...

No comments:

Post a Comment