Wednesday, December 23, 2009

thoughts of being cool, washing feet, and planting a seed

shared by Inez Albores, her cousin


Cool to be Church…


In my heart I will always remember Cindy as a visionary. She could always call things out the way they were, and should be… as a matter of fact she dubbed me an Oddball.


I know, it doesn’t really sound like a compliment – but that’s how I took it. Actually, it is the best compliment I have ever received. Because you see, Cindy was a natural leader – and I was honored to be seen as an Individual by someone who was constantly immersed in so many social groups, communities and friends. Every day I appreciate more and more the wisdom she imparted to me, her lesson on “How to be cool”.

   

In our younger years, Cindy and I were willing and unwilling servants at church…she the former, and I the latter. When she asked me to be an Altar Server with her, I hesitated and reluctantly said yes: so we served…. When we were in need of community service hours, she asked me to teach CCD with her, I wavered and reluctantly said yes: so we taught… Whenever she asked me to serve on Holy Thursday Mass which involved washing people’s feet, I cringed and reluctantly said yes: so we washed. I always believed her heart to be golden for wanting to be so involved in Church the way she did, and with such dignity and charm – that she made it cool. I have a theory that half of our confirmation class of ’98 was there because of her presence. As for me, I cherished her company so I would go wherever she asked. Through the years, we continued our dynamic, she asking and I agreeing. Little did I know she would plant a seed in my heart: a passion for serving others through the Church.


I know she is laughing as she looks down at me, now that I find myself working for the Diocese of Oakland in the Department of Evangelization and Catechesis. I can hear her saying “Inez, ye of little faith” every time I find myself wondering how I arrived. Cindy, the work I do – I dedicate to you.


May Eternal Light shine upon your face forever.


With Love Overflowing,

Wolvie Tampon


No comments:

Post a Comment