Thursday, December 2, 2010

thoughts of a gym rat and a letterman jacket

shared by VJ Rabuy, her sister

I recently played in an alumni basketball game at my old high school. It was my first time playing in the alumni game and it's been ten years since I've been in high school, 13 years since I've played on a high school basketball team. The first time I was subbed into the game I ran to what I thought was an open spot along the free throw lines. When I realized there was no space for me there, the ref replied, "Now how long has it been since you've played?" Sheepishly, I stood behind the shooter along with our team's point guard and the odd man out from the other team.

There is something about high school sports that always makes me think of Cyn. Thinking about my cousin Zoe being on the water polo team makes me feel like Cyn would be so proud of her for joining a sports team, especially a sport foreign to most of mainstream athletics. It must have been so fun for Zoe to first start to play, something that I know would have taken me out of my comfort zone.

I used to tease Cyn that she was a gym rat athlete, too soft around the edges to venture into any outdoor sports. Her yearly routine of volleyball in the fall, basketball in the winter and badminton in the spring was never interrupted by rain or other inclimate whether. So, in retrospect, maybe this was her trick for always being able to play everyday in the sport in which she was currently involved.

Another memory of high school sports is sharing Cyn's letterman jacket with her. She lettered in eight varsity sports, so was honored with a white letter. I only played on six varsity teams, so I wouldn't have received that special honor. Since she got the jacket in the latter half of her senior year, she didn't get much wear out of it in high school. To allow me to partake in the jacket's glory, we brought it to the embroidery shop and removed all her junior varsity sports, added my varsity sports underneath hers, and my name and graduation year to the place where her JV sports used to be. With the off chance of someone looking on the other side of the jacket and thinking my name is Cynthia, the jacket has served me well.

The last time I wore it was for the last high school football game of my track and field coach, Coach Mike of JFK. In his 41st season this year, it was his final game as football coach. I even was told I was recognized by someone while walking to the stands because of the jacket. (This was by Cyn's friend Kyle Roman. It might have been because our jacket has the same layout as his own. We copied him! But only because we liked it that much! Thanks Kyle.)

So, in addition to all those team photos, buddy photos, individual sports photos, my old varsity volleyball jacket, old track jackets and matching warm-up bottoms, I have the letterman jacket that I and Cyn share. I liked to complain about the student council letter on the sleeve. I think it makes it anti-jock. But student council was a big part high school, too. So...I guess it belongs. Thanks for the memories, good ol' JFK. And thanks Cyn for always including me.

2 comments:

  1. I was so honored to share that jacket layout with you both! The Rabuy's and Roman's ruled that school for awhile! Had a great time chatting with you that night as well VJ. Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder what it would've been like to have Cyn see Zoe do water polo and now bball.

    ReplyDelete