Wednesday, December 22, 2010

thoughts of Cheesecake Factory and Quiksilver

shared by Paul "Alabama" Tran, her close family friend


For my 25th birthday, a group of friends and I gathered at the Cheesecake Factory in Marina Del Rey. It was an awkward birthday because I had graduated from college and my large group of friends had changed, some people moving away and some just disappearing in that post-college hectic-ness way. It was also strange because my college girlfriend and I had recently broken up. Oh yeah, and I was unemployed at the time and in a "What should I do with this time in my life?" kind of mood.


So back then, I'm not sure there was Evite, or mass emails, or texts. I'm not exactly sure how people spread news or announcements, how word of mouth exactly worked. But it did, and twenty or thirty people showed up for the occasion. I was so happy and surprised that so many people came out for me, especially in the summer time (September) when people are in transition even more. (You must remember here, that my 21st birthday brought out what seemed like hundreds of people, so I was used to big, festive, populated parties).


And who would go and just show up with her big sister? Cyn did of course. I remember sitting in the lobby and seeing Cyn and Marlo just appear. Seeing Marlo was a big enough surprise because she was pretty busy in those days, having moved back to So. Cal to work at UCLA and be with her boyfriend (now husband, Andrew).


And then there was Cyn, who showed up in her always cool, nonchalant way, like "Of course I'd be here." She had just finished her first year at UCLA and it was great to see her around campus, especially so since I'd known her since she was 16. My friends were a little bit older, but Cyn, old soul, wise spirit, fit in as she has the gift to do so with any group of people.


That night, Marlo and Cyn gave me a Hawaiian-type shirt made by Quiksilver. It's kinda blue-gray, with these bamboo designs on it. Yes, it's kinda fun and cheesy all rolled into one, MADE for bar-b-q's if a shirt ever was. Over the years, as I've clean out my closet and donated clothes away, I always come upon that shirt. And though I never wear it, I can't bear the thought of parting with it cause Marlo and Cyn gave it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment