Tuesday, July 2, 2013

thoughts of lucky number 14

shared by Marlo R. Beall, her sister

When Cindy played high school basketball and volleyball, her jersey number was 14. I'm not sure why she chose it, but I'd say it was her favorite number. I even recall seeing a picture of her and Linh from a school dance where they had worn matching football jerseys with the number 14 on them.

My daughter Cyn Cyn is playing softball this summer as part of a traveling team. When she was asked to choose her jersey number, she ended up choosing 14. She's played softball for several years, and her previous jersey numbers have been one, two, three and four. So at first she thought to pick the number five, but since it was already taken by a teammate, 14 became a perfect alternative.

One of the reasons that she chose 14 was because it is the number of her favorite baseball player, Mark Ellis. But I let her know that it was also her Tita Cyn's number, so she happily accepted that as another good reason. I always embrace the opportunities to share little reminders of Tita Cyn with her nieces, keeping her spirit alive for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment