Monday, July 22, 2013

thoughts of a dumb monkey and a smart cookie

shared by VJ Rabuy, her sister

As a young girl, I did not go to the mall very often. To make a trip to the mall with a cool aunt and uncle was an even more rare and more special occasion.

I have a distinct memory from over 19 years ago of Tita Ancit and Tito Randy taking me and Cyn to the mall. It was even before they were married.

The four of us went to Southland Mall in Tito Randy's red truck. We walked around and went into all of the stores we were interested in. There was so much to look at in each store.

When we were about to leave, someone - I think Tita Ancit, suggested we get pizza. However, we proceeded to walk right by the Round Table in the mall, so I was confused. 

Then, after a stretch of highway, we found ourselves at Pizzeria Uno near Fremont Hub. It was the first time I had ever been there, and definitely one of my few experiences of dining out as a nine year old.

We enjoyed a fun and relaxing meal, and once we finished dinner we were asked what we wanted for dessert. Dessert? I was shocked because I was not used to ordering dessert. Tito Randy guided us thru a small dessert binder and asked us to choose.

I chose the smart cookie because it was soo cool and Cyn got the dumb monkey. Her dish came complete with a monkey dangling from his tail held high by a straw or some type of chocolate stick. It was such a fun time and I enjoyed every minute!

While visiting Upstate New York this past spring, I saw a Pizzeria Uno in town. It brought back happy memories of my sister and a perfect evening from our childhood.

2 comments:

  1. It must have been from before 19 years ago, since I believe they celebrated their 20th anniversary last September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! My calculations were wrong. They will celebrate 18 years this coming September.

      Delete