Thursday, August 2, 2012

thoughts of what's in a name

shared by Marlo R. Beall, her sister

Cindy's full name is Cynthia Eugenia Pesigan Rabuy. And for the longest time, she was not very forthcoming about telling people that her middle name was Eugenia.

I don't quite remember why she didn't like to tell people... maybe because she didn't like the name... or maybe she just liked keeping it a secret. Whatever the reason, I distinctly remember that she covered up the "Eugenia" on her driver's license. I think she used the thin border that you find on the edge of a booklet of self-adhesive postage stamps to cover up the name. However, I think she was more open about sharing it as she got older.

Cyn was given the middle name Eugenia in honor of our great grandmother, our dad's mom's mom, whose first name was Eugenia. I think it's a pretty rare name. Although I have yet to meet someone named Eugenia, whenever I do come across the name, it makes me think of Cyn. For example, one of the streets in our neighborhood is named Eugenia Court. It's about two blocks from our house. I don't drive by it very often, but whenever I do, I take a minute to look at the street sign and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment