Friday, June 22, 2012

thoughts of one family

shared by Marlo R. Beall, her sister

While Carla, Cindy and I were at UCLA, we were all involved with Samahang Pilipino. One specific Samahang activity that we all enjoyed participating in was the annual Pilipino Cultural Night (PCN). I found myself reminiscing about PCN recently, and thought of how one of my favorite memories is when the entire PCN cast would sing the Samahang Pilipino Theme Song. The chorus of the song goes like this...
'Cause we are
Brothers and sisters
Always and forever
We are
Brothers and sisters
We live as one
We are
Brothers and sisters
Samahang Pilipino
We are
Brothers and sisters
We live as one
Family
Although the end of the annual PCN performance was one of the most poignant times for singing the theme song, we would also do so after PCN run-thrus, occasionally at a Samahang general meeting, or at a number of other Samahang special events. Anyone who has been involved with Samahang can hopefully remember the loving sentiment that you felt while singing the theme song... from the first "Laaaaaaaa, la, la, la, la's" to the final "ONE FA - MI - LYYYYYY".
This reminds me of Cyn specifically because of the "and sisters" part of the lyrics. Whenever my sisters and I were part of the group, we would manage to find each other at least once or twice, just as everyone was singing, "and sisters". At that moment, as we swayed to the music, we would playfully point to each other while exchanging a silly look or smile, because... well... we were sisters.
I wonder now, whether other "Samahang siblings" shared the same little ritual. But I'm glad that we did, and that I have those moments as some of my loving memories of Cyn.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Guys...Just wanted to say thanks for sharing these stories!

    -Phi

    ReplyDelete